What kind of visa is needed to attend ATBC 2023 in India?
All participants are requested to check for visa requirements to enter India and you may qualify for the e-visa or via-mail or in-person depending on where you are located. The correct type of visa to attend the ATBC 2023 conference is the “conference visa”. It is not acceptable to enter the country under a tourist visa and attend a conference. For your family/accompanying members who are not participating in the conference you may select “tourist visa” or any other appropriate visa. Most visas will be issued for 30 days, so give yourself a month to apply for a visa.
The conference visa can also be used for tourism except in some 'Restricted' or 'Protected' areas in India, or areas affected by terrorism, militancy and extremism etc. viz. Jammu & Kashmir and the North Eastern States (other than the States of Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland).
Participants from countries with bilateral and reciprocal visa requirements
For specific details on what documentations are expected from the embassy please visit the local Indian embassy. For example the Indian embassy websites for Colombia, USA, and Nigeria are given here:
All government agency links in India end with "gov.in" so you know the authenticity of the website as being governmental (or federal - as it is called in many countries).
We list below some of the details and documentations that you may require when you apply for your “conference visa” to attend ATBC2023 in India. While this is not exhaustive, it may suffice for most countries:
1. Invitation letter : If you need a special invitation letter besides the abstract acceptance letter please fill the following form: bit.ly/3Mk6J6s
2. Conference clearance letter: This letter may be uploaded in the e-visa section under “Political clearance from Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Government of India”. For in-person mail applications please ask for an "undertaking letter" by sending an email to email@example.com and attach it with your visa application.
(ATBC 2023 is attended by non-PRC countries and for the few PRC countries, efforts are being made to obtain Political Clearance - see last section)
3. Letter from sponsors or a document indicating the funding source to cover travel costs.
4. For local contact address use: Kumaraguru Institute of Technology, Saravanampatti, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India. “641049”
5. Accommodation details (your hotel bookings or your temporary plan).
6. For any further visa-related queries and assistance questions please contact the ATBC2023 organising committee at : firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also contact the following three volunteers but please keep them all in CC and do not duplicate your requests by sending separate emails to all:
Dr. Meghna: email@example.com
Ms. Rhuthuparna: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Hemant: email@example.com
For participant from countries with Prior Reference Category (PRC) status:
The list of countries which come under Prior Reference Category (PRC) and need special prior clearance to enter India are given here: https://conference.mha.gov.in/FAQ.aspx
From the Ministry of Human Affairs, Government of India webpage:
a) Participants are from Afghanistan, People's Republic of China, Pakistan, Iraq, Sudan, foreigners of Pakistani origin and Stateless persons;
b) Participants of conferences /seminars/workshops who are required to visit 'Restricted' or 'Protected' areas in India, or areas affected by terrorism, militancy and extremism etc. viz. Jammu & Kashmir and the North Eastern States (other than the States of Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland).
All participants are encouraged to apply for Visa through nearby Indian Embassy as per the document received by the concerned embassy. This might be easier for the embassy to understand the situation and issue conference visa.
In case of those who are opting for e-visa (which we hope a few) may require additional documents as per portal information. We are in the process of addressing this on case by case basis.